Canada's Under-20 Men's Team has defeated the USA in the opening Junior World Trophy qualifier at Texas A&M University. Score: 60-22.
Match report from Dr. Pat Parfrey:
Canada won game one of two games today to determine who qualifies for the U-20 World Trophy by 60 points to 22.
On a hot, sticky day (temperature 34 degrees, humidity 60%) Canada were skillful and tough, producing a complete game, the result of 24 days of preparation at Shawnigan Lake School. Canada played the first half against a 20 mile per hour wind and lead 15-10 at the half.
Within 6 minutes, UBC's Elias Ergas finished a multi-phased movement in the left corner highlighted by 4 slick midfield passes to the left wing. From the restart, Canada gave up a soft penalty converted by USA. Immediately, USA did a similar thing and UVIC's Brennig Prevost kicked the goal.
Despite territorial possession, Canada did not score again until the 37th minute when Kevin Vertgas took a pass against the grain following a series of forward attacks. This try was converted by Brennig Prevost. However, USA scored at the half through a converted try by Reuben De Haas, the talented USA scrumhalf.
Running with the wind at their backs in the second half, Canada scored quickly with Vertgas scoring his second from another multi-phased movement. A few minutes later captain James O'Neill finished an excellent break by Seth Purdy, who subsequently also set up a try for Michael Smith at the 58th minute. This try was converted by Prevost. At this phase of the game, USA 's second row was sent off for punching. However, this event stimulated USA's best period in that they scored two long-distance tries with 14 men. During the last 20 minutes, Michael Smith scored a penalty try from a pushover scrum, and a third try from another breakthrough by the backs. Quebec's Jackson Matthews scored under the posts, as did Regina's Mostyn Findlay. The last three tries were converted by Prevost.
In addition to Man of the Match, UBC's Michael Smith's fine performances were provided by scrumhalf Will Percillier, Newfoundland's Jack McCarthy on the wing, and Ontario's Jack McRogers at hooker.
Canada will play USA again on Saturday at 3.30 pm at Rice University field. "The job is only half done as we have to perform again to a high standard on Saturday, particularly as the second is always the hardest,” commented Head Coach Jeff Williams.
Tries - Elias Ergas, Kevin Vertkas (2), James O’Neill, Michael Smith (2), Jackson Matthews, Mostyn Findley
Conversions - Brennig Prevost (5)
Penalties - Brennig Prevost
Penalty tries - (1)
Tries - Reuben De Haas, Justin Johnson, Campbell Johnstone
Conversions - Reuben De Haas (1), Patrick Madden (1)
Penalties - Reuben De Haas
Red card - Bronson Teles
Canada U-20 Roster:
1. Gavin Kratz – UVIC Vikes (Victoria, BC)
2. Jack McRogers – McMaster University (Toronto, ON)
3. Tyler Rowland – UBC Thunderbirds (Toronto, ON)
4. Quentin James – Perpignan (Vancouver, BC)
5. Reid Davis – Bayside RFC (Surrey, BC)
6. Owain Ruttan – UBC Thunderbirds (Toronto, ON)
7. James O’Neill – Captain, UVIC Vikes (Cochrane, AB)
8. Michael Smith – UBC Thunderbirds (Vancouver, BC)
9. Will Percillier – UBC Thunderbirds (Victoria, BC)
10. Steven Commerford – Brock University (Toronto, ON)
11. Jack McCarthy – Vandals RFC (St, John’s, NL)
12. Kevin Vertkas – UBC Thunderbirds (Toronto, ON)
13. Seth Purdey – UCal at Berkeley (Shawnigan Lake, BC)
14. Elias Ergas – UBC Thunderbirds (Vancouver, BC)
15. Brennig Prevost – UVIC Vikes (Victoria, BC)
16. Tyler Wong – UVIC Vikes (Vancouver, BC)
17. Emerson Prior – Trent University (Toronto, ON)
18. Stephen Mallard – Swiler’s RFC (St. John’s, NL)
19. Ben Newhook – Vandals RFC (St, John’s, NL)
20. Jackson Matthews – UVIC Vikes (Montreal, QC)
21. Peter Ingoldsby – Exmouth RFC (England)
22. Brock Gallagher – James Bay AA (Edmonton, AB)
23. Mostyn Findley – UVIC Vikes (Regina, SK)
1. Payton Ilalio
2. Dillon Shotwell
3. David Ainuu
4. Ronan Murphy
5. Bronson Teles
6. Bailey Wilson
7. Justin Johnson
8. Santi Mascolo
9. Ruben de Haas (C)
10. Sam Walsh
11. Noah Niumataiwalu
12. Quinn Perry
13. Jack Wendling
14. Patrick Medina
15. Patrick Madden
16. Stephen McLeish
17. Jack Wiles
18. Daryl Bagley
19. Will Waguespack
20. Devin Short
21. Ethan McVeigh
22. Campbell Johnstone
23. Jack Bradfield
Article, photo, and video courtesy of Rugby Canada.