VANCOUVER, BC - The British Columbia Rugby Union, the Provincial Sport governing body for the sport of rugby football in British Columbia, is seeking experienced individuals for the positions of Head Coach in the following Programs:
- BC Senior Women
- BC U20 Women
- BC U19 Men
- BC U18 Men
- BC U18 Women
- BC U16 Men
DOWNLOAD FULL POSTING (pdf)
Reporting to the BC Provincial Coach and Development Manager and the BCRU Chief Executive Officer, the successful applicants will operate within the guidelines of a fiscally responsible provincial program that is committed to on-field success and the overall promotion of the game. A professional staff working out of the BCRU Office supports all provincial teams.
Each coach of our provincial teams plays an important role in developing the quality of rugby in Canada. The ideal candidate will provide leadership and vision to ensure his/her team is at the leading edge of player development.
The Head Coach’s duties involve:
• Working with the Provincial Coach and Development Manager to outline the overall seasonal plan including provincial team player selections, practices, training camps, and development camps as well as preparation for fixtures and exhibition games.
• Attending the Provincial regional Championships as well as identifying talent at Club and School games.
• Attending the Rugby Canada National Age Grade Championships
The candidates for these positions should hold the following accreditation:
• Currently Registered with BC Rugby
• Completed Police Record Check – for all Coaches working with Youth
• Trained in SafeRugby or Rugby Ready
• Certified at the Introduction to Competition Coaching Context
• A minimum of three years coaching experience in the specific coaching context at the Club/School and Regional Levels
Exemplary communication and interpersonal skills are critical for success in this role involving interaction with players, other provincial coaches and managers, BCRU staff, volunteers and the general public. Team building and conflict resolution skills are essential.
To apply for these positions, please submit applications including an updated resume to Dave Brown at email@example.com
Provincial Coach and Development Manager
BC National Rugby High Performance Centre Manager
British Columbia Rugby Union
203-210 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC | V5Y 3W2
604 737 3067
Closing date for applications is Monday, January 6th.
No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
BC Rugby Chief Executive Officer
BC Rugby Provincial Coach & Development Manager
The British Columbia Rugby Union Provincial Team Head Coach is a proven leader who will utilize a successful coaching experience and background to ensure that the provincial team will achieve its on-field potential.
In addition to on-field success, the Head Coach is committed to long-term player development, the overall promotion of the game and to operating within the guidelines of a provincial program that is consistent across all levels and ensures British Columbia’s rugby programs are a proud reflection of our province and its sporting traditions.
Roles & Responsibilities:
1. Plan and implement provincial team player selections, practices, training camps, development camps, and preparation for games and exhibition fixtures
2. Effective co-ordination and communication of game preparation and implementation
3. Knowledge and understanding of game adjustments and facilitating them during competition.
4. Co-ordination of post-game analysis of statistics and video-tapes (if possible) and the implementation of adjustments to practice and game plan preparation
5. Work collaboratively with the BC Rugby Provincial Coach and Development Manager to develop, refine and execute a team plan that maximizes player development.
6. Provide comprehensive year-end progress reports along with other intermittent updates as required.
7. Communicate areas of responsibility for team captain and other team leaders
8. Media interaction where necessary
9. Participate in the selection process and assignment of areas of responsibility for the Assistant Coach and other
adjunct or intern coaches
10. Develop and administer areas of responsibility and expectations for the Assistant Coach(s), adjunct coaches, and mentored coaches.
11. Adhere to the sponsorship guidelines as set out by the BCRU
12. Other duties as might be defined by the BCRU Board of Directors from time to time
Knowledge and Skills:
1. Strong technical and tactical expertise and teaching ability
2. Ability to select quality rugby players that have the skill to be successful at the Provincial level
3. Excellent leadership and organizational skills
4. Flexibility to travel
5. Supervisory skills with delegation of areas of responsibility
6. Team building and group dynamics skills
7. Decisive and proactive
8. Ability to identify necessary needed improvements and make strategic adjustments during game situation
9. Demonstrated ability to work with volunteers within the rugby community
10. Experienced in measuring outcomes and implementing player / program tracking
11. Strategic planning both short and long term
12. Ability to remain composed in difficult situations
13. Dispute resolution and conflict management skills
14. Excellent communication skills
15. Creative problem solving skills