CALGARY - British Columbia's Under-19 men's provincial team moved to 2-0 at the U19 Canadian Rugby Championship on Thursday with a convincing 43-12 win over Eastern Ontario-Quebec reps Voyageurs.
BC jumped out to a 19-0 lead at the half through a pair of tries from MacBryan Bos (Victoria) and a score from Canada U20 standout Nathan Yanagiya (North Vancouver). Quinton Willms (White Rock) tacked on two conversions for the lead.
The second half saw BC run in four more tries through Dylan Kiselbach (White Rock), James Pitlbado (Vancouver), Rob Fenton (Vancouver) and Nolan Laderoute (Vancouver). Willms added another two conversions to round out the 43 points. The Voyageurs didn't go down without a fight and rallied for two late tries from Dan Pelletier and Conor Mullen to see the match wrap at 43-12.
"We haven't had any games together like our opposition so the players are learning in competition how to play together. We had a few lapses in concentration and the fact that they were disappointed with their final few minutes shows that their self awareness is huge," said BC head coach Kris de Scossa. "We were able to try out some different combinations and everyone has now got some field time which is crucial heading into the second half of the tournament."
Canada U20 rep Jorden Sandover-Best (Abbotsford) was a standout for de Scossa who said the scrum half is quickly developing into a top level player.
"His delivery of the pass and his ability to control the forwards during the match was incredible," added de Scossa.
The BC squad will now have the day off and will turn their attention towards the Prairie Wolf Pack on Saturday at 2:00pm. The Prairie reps pulled off a 25-22 upset against 2012 runner-ups Ontario on Thursday and are now 2-0 heading into the final pool round match.
"We were able to watch the Wolf Pack today and you could tell they've been together for a while now. They look like a well coached and well drilled outfit," added de Scossa. "Now we'll have the day off and our physio Alvin [Tseng] will continue his hard work behind the scenes with the players to make sure they'll be game fit for Saturday."
BC Scorers: 43 pts
Tries: MacBryan Bos x2, Nathan Yanagiya, Dylan Kiselbach, James Pitblado, Rob Fenton, Nolan Laderoute
Conversions: Quinton WIllms x4
BC Roster vs Voyageurs
1-Dylan Kiselbach, 2-Jacob Collins, 3-MacBryan Bos, 4-Connor Weyell, 5-Connor Hamilton, 6-Rob Fenton, 7-Nathan Hight, 8-Reid Tucker, 9-Jorden Sandover-Best, 10-James Pitblado, 11-Austin Karius, 12-Gavin McLean, 13-Nathan Yanagiya, 14-Sebastian Gibson, 15-Quinton WIllms
16-Liam Beaulieu, 17-Nolan Laderoute, 18-Jeff Nishima-Miller, 19-Titus Le, 20-Crosby Stewart, 21-Joe Erlic, 22-Cole Mosychuk
1-Chayse Moore, 2-Conor Mullen, 3-Jacob Chahwan, 4-Dave Matthews, 5-Malcolm Baird, 6-Broeghan Carrol, 7-Morgan Stone, 8-Ethan Sanders, 9-Weston Hill, 10-Jonah Nadler, 11-Dan Pelletier, 12-Charles DeBove, 13-Andrew Milne ©, 14-Kenny Boyce, 15-Nate Edwardson
16-Abdul Mansour, 17-Ryan McCaughan, 18-Alexy Leavitt, 19-Conor McCaffrey, 20-Pierre-Nicholas Perron, 21-Nick Rossi, 22-Laurent Jomphe
July 17-21. U19 Canadian Rugby Championship (Calgary Rugby Park, Alberta)
July 17th - British Columbia 22 - 20 Ontario Blues
July 18th, 11:00am - British Columbia 43 - 12 Voyageurs
July 20th, 2:00pm British Columbia vs Prairie Wolf Pack
Playoff Rounds - Sun. July 21st , 11:00am - 3rd/4th Consolation, 1:00pm - National Final
BC U19 Men's CRC Roster
1. Neil Courtney* - Loose Head Prop (Capilano RFC / UBC Thunderbirds)
2. Liam Beaulieu - Loose Head Prop (Bayside Athletic Association)
3. Jacob Collins - Hooker (United Rugby Club)
4. Nolan Laderoute - Hoooker (Vancouver Rowing Club)
5. Macbryan Bos - Tighthead Prop (UVic Vikes)
6. Dylan Kiselbach - Tighthead Prop (Bayside Athletic Association/ UBC Thunderbirds)
7. Reid Tucker - Lock (Capilano RFC)
8. Connor Hamilton* - Lock (UBC Thunderbirds)
9. Connor Weyell - Lock (Capilano RFC)
10. Nathaniel Hight - Flanker (Surrey Beavers AA)
11. Jeff Nishima-Miller - Flanker (Castaway Wanderers / UVic Vikes)
12. Cole Mosychuk - Flanker (UBC Okanagan / Kelowna Crows)
13. Robert Fenton - Flanker (Vancouver Rowing Club)
14. Haydn Evans - No. 8 (UVic Vikes)
15. James Pitblado* - Scrum Half (Vancouver Rowing Club / UVic Vikes)
16. Jorden Sandover-Best* - Scrum Half (UBC Thunderbirds)
17. Quinton Willms - Fly Half (Bayside Athletic Association)
18. Crosby Stewart - Wing (James Bay Athletic Association)
19. Austin Karius - WIng (Capilano RFC)
20. Gavin McLean - Centre (Comox Kickers RFC)
21. Joe Erlic - Centre (Castaway Wanderers RFC)
22. Sebastian Gibson - Centre (Abbotsford RFC)
23. Nathan Yanagiya* - Centre (Capilano RFC / UVic Vikes)
24. Titus Le - Back Three (Burnaby Lake Rugby Club)
BC U19 Team Staff
Head Coach - Kris de Scossa
Assistant Coach - Dave Murphy
Manager - Clive Fairs
Therapist / Trainer - Alvin Tseng