ABBOTSFORD - The Gobbler Rugby Classic is a tournament that happens every Thanksgiving weekend in Abbotsford at CFV Exhibition Park. The event began in 1977 and in its early years, was held at McMillan Park with a beer garden in the lacrosse box (now replaced by a rec center). The tournament now takes place at the four fantastic fields at CFV Exhibition Park with a covered sideline beer garden that pumps out tunes and good times all day Saturday and Sunday.
Originally the tournament involved teams primarily from the Fraser Valley competing for a variety of prizes, including the coveted live turkey that was awarded to the winning team. Expectedly, animal rights activists expressed their discontent with this award, and cash prizes are now given out, as well as an award for the top social side. The tournament now includes teams from all over the Pacific Northwest from the US and Canada.
The Gobbler Tournament is also famous for its Saturday night dance, featuring a live band and an annual theme. At various points throughout the history of the Gobbler, the dance has attracted over 2,000 patrons for the evening event and has seen many big names on the stage. There is also an elusive myth about an infamous beer slide that brave participants have endured at the close of the night...
2012 Gobbler Information
When: October 6, & 7th, 2012
Theme: Blast from the Past
Friday, Oct 5
- Welcome Party at the ARFC Clubhouse (the club will be open at 8pm)
Saturday, Oct 6
- Tournament begins at 10am; Beer Garden opens at 11am
- Visit the Kukri tent for gear and partake in the Kukri "Keepie Uppie" challenge
- The Gobbler Dance (8pm-1am)
- Live Band! "Harma White"
Sunday, Oct 7
- Day 2 of the tournament starts at 10am
- awards at 3pm
- 7pm - post tournament party at the ARFC clubhouse
There are both Men's & Women's Divisions
- Men (15 aside) - $350 Canadian ($50 refund after completion of 3rd game)
- Women (10 aside) - $200 ($50 refund after completion of 3rd game)
- 3 games per team minimum
Cash Prizes (based on at least 8 registered teams):
1st - $800
2nd - $400
3rd - $200
1st - $500
2nd - $250
3rd - $100
Best Social Team
Social Turkey Trophy
To register your team for 2012, please contact Doug Primrose at 604-870-8718 or email Doug_Primrose@sd34.bc.ca
For out of towners:
We have an airport in Abbotsford - checkout Westjet for flights. Airport is about a 10 minute drive to clubhouse.
- Comfort Inn - 604-859-6211 - it backs on to our clubhouse, so good location. 5 min drive to playing fields.
- Alpine Motor Inn - 604-859-3171 - 5 minute walk t clubhouse, 5 minute drive to fields.
- Coast - 604-853-1880 - 10 Minute drive to club and playing fields
- Best Western - 604-853-3111 - 5 minute walk to the club and 5 minute drive to playing fields